Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"I didn't say that"

So, you say you want to be a cowboy.

I didn't say that.

Of course you did. Everyone wants to be a cowboy.

I don't.

Don't be silly. Why else would you be here?

The sign said, "Fulfill Your Dreams." I figured it was bullshit, but I'm lonely and pathetic. I'm walking around, it's late, I'm never going to sleep, I figure what they hell, has to be worth a laugh.

Yes. I understand. You want to be a cowboy.

Umm, OK, so this is a metaphor, right? Like, being a cowboy is a metaphor for fulfilling your dreams, for getting in touch with your inner child. So, being a "cowboy" is sort of like doing what you truly want to do, deep inside, right?

If you say so.

If I say so?

If you say so. You're the one who came in here. People come in here for all sorts of reasons. They have all sorts of dreams. You know, it's hard to fulfill dreams from a streetcorner shop.

I'll bet.

I mean, you don't usually get to pick up fulfillment at retail.

That's true.

Damn right it's true. And yet, here you are.

Here I am.

So. What can I do for you?

What do you mean? I came in here because the sign said you could fulfill my dreams. I get here, they take my 54 bucks and they send me back to this office with cheap wood paneling and shag carpet, and you telling me I want to be a cowboy. I don't want to be a goddam cowboy. I've never wanted to be a goddam cowboy.

No need to shout.

I'm not shouting!

I said there's no need to shout, but you can if you want. Shout all you want. Just tell me what you want.

I want my dreams fulfilled.

Yes, of course. But what dreams?

You don't know?

Did I say I did?

Kind of. You said I wanted to be a cowboy.

Well you do, don't you?

Now we're just talking in circles.

Look. Everyone has dreams. Everyone has the ideal life they wanted to lead, but somehow got off track, just like you. And they find themselves wandering around late at night wondering if the answer to all of their questions is in a little storefront on the street where the tourists come to shop. And you know what?

I guess I don't.

The answers are here.

Really...

Yeah, really. If you're willing to take the next step. To cross the line.

The line...?

The one that separates your reality from the dream. I have in my hands two pills...

Like in The Matrix, right?

Yes. Like in The Matrix. Christ, that movie screwed up this business. I have half a mind to sue those bastards. As I was saying .. I have two pills. The pill in my left hand will show you your dream. The pill on the right will transform you. You will be the man who embraces the dream...the man who embraces his destiny.

Right. How will it do that?

It changes your life.

How?

You take it.

I don't get it.

I imagined you wouldn't.

You're full of crap. I want my money back.

No refunds. You signed the form.

I'll call the police!

You do that. Look, I tried.

You tried? You sold me a load of bunk. You jabbered on and on about destiny. You call that trying?

You're right. I'm full of crap. I was just messing with you.

You were?

Depends.

Depends? On what?

Nothing. Just, go, OK?

Alright. I'm going. You're nuts, you know that?

I know. Take care of yourself.

* * *

"So, Boss. How'd it go? That guy looked pretty pissed."

Sorry, Jane. You took care of him, right?

"Yah. He'll be OK. But he'd have made a lousy cowboy."

You think so?

"Oh, yeah. Looked terrible in the hat."

# # #

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was a nice story! keep it up

Webring